Why is it so difficult to lose weight while you are at work? Easy, because you are stressed out all day long and can’t make healthy choices. It’s not impossible, but it takes some work. We’re going to give you simple tips so you can shed and not gain pounds during your 9 to 5 day job. Are you ready? Let’s go!
1. Pedometer App: You probably have your phone attached to your hip during your office hours, so use it to your advantage. Get a pedometer app so you can move more. You can set a daily step’s goal and you’ll be motivated to reach it. Instead of emailing a coworker you’ll be ready to walk by her desk.
2. Soda? No Thanks!: Most office cafeterias have free sodas for grabs, skip the temptation and brew a cup of green tea if you need the caffeine buzz. Even diet sodas are full of sugar, which turns into fat. You might not be piling on the calories, but drinking soda won’t let you lose weight.
3. It’s all about the Cs: Eat an orange or drink vitamin C packets while you are at work to lower the production of stress hormones which make you want to eat. Emotional snacking at the office is something that needs to stop.
4. Get up, stand up… Our bodies are not meant to sit longer than twenty minutes and we often sit for hours. If you have a desk-driven job, you should invest in a stand-up desk or in a keyboard extension so you can stand and type especially after lunch. You’ll notice the difference in your posture and in your waist.
5. The gum queen: Keeping the mouth busy will prevent you from breaking into the tempting potato chip bag in the corner. Gum lowers the cortisol levels in the body, which control the way the body deals with stored fat. Chewing gum will prevent you from stress eating!
6. Who said free food?: Offices are full of free food either from birthday celebrations or leftovers from a lunch meeting. Don’t eat it! That’s a good time to visit a colleague on another floor. You’ll add the unnecessary calories and you’ll feel bad afterward.